Many people love the idea of working from home. Rather than sitting in an office with many of your colleagues you have the ability to work from one of the greatest places in the world, home. At first it may seem like there are only advantages from working at home and it is always better than sitting in the office. If you feel this is true, we would like to provide you with a few tips to consider when working at home. By the way, this list does not apply to everyone that is working from home.
1. DO NOT leave your cell phone back in the living room when you step out to the diner for a couple of hours.
2. DO take your BlackBerry and cell phone when you go to the bathroom.
3. DO schedule a few short conference calls with anybody who works for you, since they are probably at the office cursing your name. This will show them you are fully engaged in the business of the day, which, of course, you are!
4. DO NOT start drinking any earlier than usual. Not even beer.
5. DO send out that lengthy e-mail with several Excel attachments that people have been waiting for since last Tuesday. This will serve two purposes: 1) demonstrate that you are active and on the field, in spite of all appearances; 2) stop anybody from replying to you on any issue while they chew over a spreadsheet they have no desire to deal with on a Friday during July or August.
7. DO NOT leave your Beatles album playing in the background while you talk with colleagues, even if they are junior to you. Word will get around.
8. DO NOT answer the phone during your nap. Allow the ring to wake you. Splash some cold water on your face. Then return the call and apologize for having been “caught up” in something else while it was ringing. You may not fool anybody but it will be worth the attempt.
9. DO attempt to call your boss at 6 p.m., when you know he has gone for the day. You will appear on his call sheet first thing Monday morning as any industrious corporate citizen should.
10. DO NOT conduct any sort of business in your underwear. People will know. I don’t know how, but they will.
This list will most likely be as helpful to an entrepreneur. Here are some more general thoughts.
11. When working from home, do not let other family members answer the phone! Also, shut off ALL other phones when on conference calls.
12. When you answer your home phone, always say “Hello, this is ” (you never know who it might be)
13. When you grocery shop, think about your work day. Don’t eat while you are on calls, etc. Take time out to sit down and eat away from your desk. Take a walk after a meal. Get out of the house.
Also, you may feel that this list is totally incorrect and does not apply for people that work for home. Every persons case is different, so again this post may not be the most helpful for you. Thank you for visiting our web site, we will post some information that is not related to web hosting every once in a while - just like now.